Festival (dumpling) The festivals or Jamaican festivals are a kind of fried dumpling, typical of Jamaican cuisine. It is a dough made with wheat flour, Cornmeal, baking powder, salt, sugar and water, then fried in cooking oil and served hot.
1. In a large bowl mix together the flour,baking powder, cornmeal, sugar, vanilla and salt.Then add butter.
2. Make a well , add milk, knead dough for about a minute to form soft dough.
3. Divide dough into 20-21 equal pieces. Set aside for about 10 mins
4. Make the festivals shape dough like you would a sausage, by rolling with your hands.
5. In a large, saucepan pour oil, until it is at least 3 inches and place on medium heat until oil gets hot.
6. Fry until golden brown about 5-7 minutes or more depending on size. Remove with a thongs and drain on paper napkin. Let it cool.
7. Serve with powdered sugar on them or without it. .